Monday, August 23, 2010

Winnie Come!

A few weeks ago I posted a heads-up about the Patricia McConnell DVD sale.  I didn't really know what I was getting into but I knew I loved her book The Other End of the Leash so I took a chance on a DVD.  I ordered "Lassie Come!  How to get your dog to come every time you call" because although Winnie comes most of the time she dosen't come all of the time and let's be honest... chasing a dog around the back yard because they won't come inside when you're late is only fun for the dog.   

In a nut shell... I loved it.  McConnell was thoughtful and encouraging and easily understood.  It was also great to see her model what she was talking about. 

Here's a clip of Winnie and I in a short "come" training session.  Today we're in the house but we've been doing it in the back yard and on walks and I think we'll soon move to the dog park for a bigger challange but for now we're having lots of fun! 


One of the points I took from the video was this: The more control you have over your dog, the more freedom your dog has. It sounds silly but makes a lot of sence. If you know your dog will come, you don't stress about letting it run outside to greet people... and so on. I found a YouTube video of McConnell doing an interview and talking about a different DVD.  They don't talk about training "come" but I thought it would be nice for you to see some of what I'm talking about from the horses mouth.  Enjoy!

3 comments:

Kelly said...

Nice video! You should do more instructional videos like that, you did a good job! :)

Amy said...

Thanks Kelly. :-) I don't know how well the camera likes me but the vote of confidence is appreciated.

Aspen Hill Locksmith said...

Thank you